Perhaps it seems there is a dull spot in the photos, or faces not appearing as sharp as they did in your portraiture. Yes, it could be as simple as a smudge on the lens of your camera, but if you have tried cleaning in and still notice the same problems, then chances are you may have dust or similar on your camera sensor.
But what exactly is the camera sensor? In layman’s terms, the camera’s image sensor is that part of the camera that converts the light of the optical image in front of the camera into an electrical signal. It is located in the camera body behind the camera lenses.
If this is the case, then it is time to clean the camera sensor. Before we do this however, we must clarify one thing first. The concept of cleaning the camera sensor is somewhat of a misnomer. The notion of cleaning the sensor within a DSLR camera, is incorrect as it is actually a low pass filter mounted in front of the sensor which requires cleaning and attention. But by cleaning, we don’t mean, a good scrub with water and soap. The camera sensor is a sensitive part of the camera, so we would recommend, that if you are unfamiliar with your camera, don’t have the right tools, or just want to know it is done correctly, that you take your camera to a service professional for their help and support. After all, no matter if you have what you would call a cheap digital camera, or if you have professional equipment, at the end of the day, you want to know that the job has been done correctly.
If you choose to do it yourself, there are a few things to remember:
- Does cleaning the sensor void your warranty?
- Work in a sterile clean area free of wind
- Clean the work area in front of you before you start
- Have you got the necessary equipment to clean your sensor?
- Are you using a pre-packaged cleaning kit
- Are you using a swab kit?
- Will you incorporate a protective measure moving forward?
- Are you using manufacturer recommended equipment
- Have you got the necessary equipment to test if you were successful cleaning your camera?
- A sensor inspection device will check your cleaning prowess in seconds and allow you to clean it quickly and easily